And now back to the job I was trying to avoid by gallivanting around the countryside: wiring and point control.
Finally I trudged back to the workshop made a start on the test version.
It didn’t work very well: the brass rod bent and wobbled and generally felt thoroughly sloppy. It also tried to fall out of the useful little hole in the points and had to be held up with plasticard.
Slightly dodgy point rodding was only matched by completely awful electrics. The controller threw a fit as soon as I turned it on, and after trying several methods starting from “Look at all the wires in turn to try and find a fault” through to “Stamp around kicking the workbench”, I contemplated placing a notice in the 1:55 society magazine: “Model railway, half built, free to good home.”
Eventually I did what I should have done at first, and rewired the points with colour coded wire. I’d also spent a few moments between kicks actually thinking about how to improve things, and made the second version of the point rodding.
If you have perfect eyeesight (or elnarge the picture) you’ll notice the thin wire goes through a slightly larger tube. The breakthrough came when my remaining brain cells realised this didn’t have to be held down, but could move with the thinner wire. The only problem is when you bend the thin wire then realise you need to put the tube on, and try to straighten it and then force the tube over. This only works with much swearing.
Much better to put the tube on first, working backwards from the ‘L’ shaped hook to the omega and the next hook for the switch.
The third set of points required a bit more thought because I’d completely neglected to plan ahead, As usual.
You shouldn’t glue wood like this, so I’m going to pretend it isn’t there. Still it works: the points change, the train moves, so far nothing has blown up.